Saturday, April 22, 2006

Part 2 of last weekend

Saturday, April 15
Happy birthday, DannyGT.

ThumbSucker and I awoke, got ready, and headed directly to Disneyland, arriving at around Noon. After waiting in line for a security search and for park admission tickets, we stepped foot into the park at 1:00 p.m. Waiting in line would be the theme for our adventure at Disneyland.

Because we didn’t have too much time remaining in the day, we plotted our course, aiming to visit and ride five attractions. We went to the Indiana Jones ride, but saw the wait would be at least 80 minutes. Screw that, we said. We decided to use Disneyland’s Flash Pass system that allows visitors to come back at a later time in the day with little or no waiting. Our designated return time was scheduled for 5:50 p.m.

By 1:30, we were hungry, and opted to gouging stop number one. After a brief bite to eat, we went to Splash Mountain. We waited in line for 90 minutes. The ride lasted a total of just more than seven minutes. Regardless, we were in better spirits after the ride. Then we went to Tomorrowland, and got in line for Space Mountain, my favorite Disneyland ride. Again, after a nearly 90-minute wait, we enjoyed a five-minute ride.

Adding to the sad and long wait was smelly and rude people. Prior to this trip, the last time I came to Disneyland was in 1994 with seven high school buds. I did not remember the park attracting trashy and rude people, not to mention “larger than life.” It really is sad. A few people could not close the protective bar that restrains you into the ride as their thighs were too big.

Our spirits were replenished once again after riding Space Mountain. However, we agreed that we would leave Disneyland after the Indiana Jones ride. We grabbed another bite to eat at the second gouging spot.

We arrived at the Indian Jones ride at 5:40 p.m., and already people were pushing and showing lack of manners while in line. Overall, it was the rudeness that ruined our experience. A close second was having to wait in line. Disney really does not have an incentive to get you into rides faster. Once they collected you money for the entrance ticket, they do not have an obligation to ensure you have a good time. Instead, visitors are bombarded with over-priced junk families will eventually throw away. It’s irresponsible.

After the Indiana Jones ride, we left the “happiest place on Earth,” vowing never to return unless there was a special circumstance. After waiting in line for nearly five hours, we enjoyed a total of 22 minutes on rides. Regardless, my mission was accomplished. Never again would I hear ThumbSucker ask, “Will you take me to see Mickey Mouse?”

We drove back to Long Beach, napped, then showered, and headed out to Santa Monica. We walked along the pier and came across
Pacific Park, a small amusement park on the Santa Monica pier. We purchased tickets for a few rides, and were immediately of the short-looking lines. Five minutes, max, we thought. We rode Sea Dragon, a suspended boat ride that swings you 270-degrees; West Coaster, a very modest, yet surprisingly fun roller coaster, which is the only steel West Coast roller coaster located on a pier; and then we rode the Pacific Wheel, the world’s only solar-powered Ferris wheel. Once again, our spirits were lifted. Even more so than from the Disneyland rides because we didn’t pay butt rape prices to wait hours for a ride. After the rides, we went to the arcade, and played two games of table hockey. This was ThumbSucker’s first time, and I felt like I was back in high school. I won the first game, and ThumbSucker barely won the second game.

We left the pier feeling good. “A weekend of amusement, a weekend of amusement” I said. ThumbSucker agreed, and thanked me for the trip.

Sunday, April 16
We woke up, got ready, packed, checked out, and headed for Tustin. I wanted to take ThumbSucker to Tommy’s Sushi. However, when we arrived, it learned it was closed. G’dammit, I should have called first to check.

We decided to drive west, to the coast, to Newport Beach in search of lunch. Goodness, it was nice. Everything looked manicured. Cars were shiny. People were blinging. I had not seen so many Bentleys, Ferraris or Lamborghinis on the road at one time. The town was packed! We drove south, passing through Corona del Mar, Laguna Beach, South Laguna, and finally stopping at Dana Point. We grabbed lunch, then headed to the beach. I vegged on the sand, while ThumbSucker got his feet wet.

After Dana Point, we headed north past Newport Beach to Huntington Beach. We walked through the downtown strip and on the pier, then decided that we need to return the car and head to the airport.

Thank goodness for T-Mobile Wi-Fi. Without it I would feel disconnected. But I love (x3) Sprint’s EV-DO network. It fast compared to their older 1xRTT network. Web pages load relatively quick on my UTStarcomm 6700.

I’ve decided that I like the smartphone, but I definitely do not love it. The camera is legit with plenty of options. I like the WAN/LAN/PAN connectivity – cell when I’m outside the office or home, and fast Wi-Fi if I use it indoors. I still have not configured my Bluetooth headset as I’m decently happy with the wired two-bud headset. However, I’m not digging the speakerphone. Damn thing has given me problems toggling on-and-off. Also, I still have mixed feelings about Windows Mobile 5.0. Compared to my Treo 600, more steps are required to look up a contact, and make a call. Also, with the slick sliding keyboard I get a larger screen, which blows away the Treo 600. However, with the slide-out keyboard, I no longer can easily text message while driving or stuck in traffic. Another thing I need to figure out is sending a text message to an email address. With Windows Mobile Messaging, I can only send a text message to another mobile phone. With the Treo 600 I could send messages to both mobile and email address. Grr. But overall I’m happy with the phone. We’ll see what I’ll switch to in two years. I’m sure there will be something better than the Motorola Q by then.

What I really want is a slick, Apple-designed smartphone with durability features found with the rugged, industrial-grade mobile computers from Symbol Technologies, and a refined version on Microsoft Windows Mobile. Oh, and a faster cell network with ubiquitous coverage would be great as well.

I can’t wait for the day when I can download a Starbucks menu onto my phone, and beam/send my order directly to the barista to help ensure my drink is mad perfectly. I would create several drink profiles to order according to what strikes my fancy at the moment.

Getting back to Los Angeles, we boarded the United Airlines airplane, and were treated to the same narrow seats. However, this time we sat in Economy Plus, which gave us an extra five inches of legroom. This is noticeable, and greatly appreciated.

After a delay getting to the terminal gate, waiting for our baggage, and taking a cab back to the loft, we were brushing our teeth by 11:30 p.m.

Overall, I say the trip was a success. We drove nearly 700 miles in four days, saw a lot things and people, rode a few rides, had some tasty meals, saw the sun, and felt the So Cal heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home