Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I slipped

Tonight, I talked on the phone for an hour with one of my internal clients (one of the fine women in my life who I consider a bud). She is visiting New York this week until Friday. ThumbSucker and I arrive Saturday, so I'm bummed I will not have a chance to see her for some time, especially as she is relocating from Dallas to London at the end of the month.

JBurt: Oh no. We won't see each other...
me: Yeah, I'm bummed. By the way, I'm bringing the better-half this time.
JBurt: You two must go to the Met! I hear they have a once in a lifetime exhibit... Pieces from everywhere in one location... Van Goghes... I hear it's supposed to be incredible.
me: Anything else we should check out? Keep in mind that while I'm in the office, the better-half will be in the city...
JBurt: And you must go watch a show. Go see "The Producers." It's great!

Then we talked again about when she worked at Apple... About how every five years you had to take a mandatory sabbatical; and for her second sabbatical, she went to London. On some days, she would watch three shows. "Oh I'd go to my French language class in the morning, then watch a matinee show. A matinee back then cost eight pounds, and there were no lines then, you know... Then I'd watch another show, and another. It was great." Goodness I said. "And I'd go to the museums... I'm sure I had seen more than most people from London." I'm sure too.

I asked if she was married at the time. She was (and she still is). He's a pilot who had the JFK to London route. How perfect I said. "So he would come for two or three days each week, and we'd hang out." Splendid. "And we drove to Ireland... It's so beautiful there. And the people are so friendly. They all liked my husband because he has sort of an orange complexion. His background is Irish, you know."

So then I told her that my "better-half" is from Dublin, Ireland. "Oh really? Wow!" Yes. Then I accidentally said ThumbSucker's name. It's a Gaelic name for crying out loud... And unless you didn't know, you may think ThumbSucker's name could be a chick's name. But no. JBurt asked, "So how long have you been dating him?" I was busted! Well, not busted. But I was now out to JBurt. Goodness. She was the one person I didn't want to know because she's from Texas. I feel bad for having thought that.

Side track: This reminds me of the first time I came out to someone at my company. In May 2005, at a tradeshow, my VP (former internal client then) and I were talking about how his wife and other co-workers' wives work at their old company. I was shocked, and said, "My ex works at [old company name]." He asked who. Without thinking I said, "[ex boyfriend's name.]" He said he had not heard of him. Gah. I can't believe it - I slipped. But he was fine with "it." I guess we have a few things in common - no hair on our head, we're the same height and we're both attached to natives of Ireland. We're supposed to get together for chow when we're in New York next week. I'm excited. ThumbSucker and my VP's wife can talk about tinkers and knackers, the Wards and the Montgomerys, and all things Ireland.

Back to tonight: JBurt didn't even stutter. It wasn't an issue. She was completely fine with "it." As a matter of fact, she asked more questions about ThumbSucker. "When did he move to the U.S.? Does he still have family in Ireland?" I told her that ThumbSucker plans to bring me to Ireland sometime this year. "Good, so when you're out here, you need to come to London as well, and work out of the London office." I agreed.

JBurt is swell. She told me that she tells everyone in her organization she has my back. "[my name] knows what he's doing. He's a fantastic guy. He'll tell you what to do..." And she kept going. I said thank you after the praise session.

I really work with a great group of people... I came to this company because I believe in our vision. I said that one year ago, and I still say it today. I guess there are other companies I could look at as I've been approached by recruiters, but I'm sure as hell they could not provide what I have here.

Okay, I'll stop before I become too sappy. It's not becoming of me.

G'night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Overmatter said...

You work in California! I could see worrying about coming out to people with the fact that you like to eat pork rinds, or that you hate yoga....but otherwise aren't valley people pretty accepting?

8:46 AM  
Blogger E-Double said...

Trust me, I've had beef with a few peeps... For one, the ultra right-wing chick I used to work with a few years ago. "But your lifestyle is just so unnatural... I think my dad is pretty liberal, and I can't believe he actually knows someone who is gay." Also, she would spew racist comments. Seriosuly, you would not believe it. She was a piece of work.

She was very twisted and mean. No one liked her. But because we were a two-person team, I batted for her. A waste of energy it was. Bad times.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home