Sunday, February 19, 2006

Tour guide and thoughts of dying

Today, I drove my mother and sister from Kelseyville to Mendocino. Neither had been. And it has been nearly six years since I last visited the beautiful coastal town. The drive (highway 29, to highway 20, to highway 1, then south on highway 1) to Mendocino was incredible - lush green trees everywhere! At numerous times, I thought I was in a green cathedral.

On the drive to Mendocino, I also learned that my mother almost purchased land in Humboldt County approximately 10 years ago, but backed-out the day after she signed papers. Good thing she did. The area still has not flourished into the busy town picture the sales people painted.

So once in Mendocino, we ate lunch, and visited the shops along Main Street. We saw plenty of nice things - paintings, photographs, wooden bowls, jewelry, furniture, and so forth. However, everything was priced at a ridiculous premium. Tourist town. What are you going to do?

One thing that didn't cost but a third tank of gas, is the absolutely spectacular view. Blue sky. Blue Pacific Ocean. Waves crashing. Man, I could tele-commute from Mendocino any day!

Sidetrack: The first and my last time to the Mendocino/Fort Bragg area was Labor Day weekend 2000 with Nathan P. Smith (who celebrated his birthday today - happy birthday x31!) and MarcusD. MarcusD and I met Nathan P. Smith a few months before the trip, but we all were good pals by then. The Guyyys! At any rate, that night we found a secluded area where we drank and ate pizza... And MarcusD and I thought we would die later that night after some of the stories Nathan P. Smith told us. At a motel in Fort Bragg, we got drunk, and played Asshole. And boy did MarcusD and I really think we would die that night. Nathan P. Smith scared the hell out of us. I forget the details, but it was along the lines of the Columbine high school shootings. The following morning, MarcusD and I were still alive, but feeling groggy. We started our drive back to the Bay Area, and stopped off at Calistoga for a mud bath. MarcusD and I had never been to a mud bath, so we agreed to check it out. I loved it! You shower; then bathe in the mud mixture; then shower; then take a mineral bath; then hop into the steam room. Then you're wrapped in a blanket for what seems to be too long. And then you receive a massage. Afterwards you feel like you got your ass kicked.


Later that evening, we gathered some of The Guyyys for dinner at my mom's house to celebrate MarcusD's 24th birthday. It was a warm night, so dinner in the backyard was perfect. Good times... Good times.

Back to today. On the drive back (south on highway 1, to highway 128, to highway 253, to highway 101, to highway 175, then to highway 29), I saw sheep! Anyone who has spent enough time with me knows my excitement about sheep. They are the most adorable creatures on this planet. I look forward to the day when I could have a few sheep to eat grass in the backyard. Baaa!

Also, two things I told my 16-year-old sister for when she begins driving. Never pick up hitchhikers - dude or chick. And always use your turn signal indicator! Goodness, there are so many offenders on the road... I must use at least half a gallon of windshield washer, spraying cars once I pass them. (Anyone who has ridden with me probably knows what I'm talking about.)

ThumbSucker arrived just before dinner, which featured my mom's (damn tasty) chili. Nothing beats mother's cooking, especially her chili on a cold night. After dinner, my mother, ThumbSucker and I listen to Edith Piaf in the living room, and talked about the 80's, my brother and my mother's family, among other things.

Now, after a bath, I'm ready to hit the sack. Tomorrow after breakfast, we hit the road, back for the four-one-five. G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home