Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Driving these days

For the past two weeks, I've been driving much slower. 70 to 75 mph versus 90 to 95 mph on the freeway, and no more than 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit on city streets. Why? Because I no longer want to be in a hurry.

Granted I like speed (velocity, not meth). I get a rush from zipping around... I become excited. But as of late, my nearly sedate driving style allows me to watch everyone zip past. On the freeway, I hang with other right-lane and second to the right-lane drivers. And it's OK. It's OK. I didn't realize how fast I used to drive... 90 to 100 mph on highway 280 feels comfortable.

The new commuter
The other week, I purchased a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo from my mechanic (late-50s Italian guy named Al). It was a great deal - a nearly 20 year-old car with less than 82,000 miles. You do the math.

Unfortunately, the previous owner of the car, which has been with one family since the original purchase, has a wife who no longer wanted him to drive the car after the cost of the recent work performed - new clutch, front and rear brakes, master brake cylinder, new water pump and a few other items. So I purchased the car for the amount of the parts and labor.

The best part of the 944 is that it uses regular 87-octane fuel (and it has nearly 100 more horses than the 190E), because 91-octane, premium fuel -- at $2.55 to $2.75 a gallon -- for the C230 is killing me. (I drive 130-miles round-trip to and from the office.) I was filling the tank after 2.5 trips.

Now I need to sell the old 190E commuter. It's been fun. Gutless, but fun.

But I find it odd that driving a (20 year-old) 2-door sports car is the reason I changed my driving style. Granted my one-way commute to and from the office now takes an additional 10 minutes, but I do not mind. It's OK. Really.

MACSD - mothers against crack-smoking and driving

On my drive back to the loft yesterday, I saw an eradic driver in an old burnt orange-color Saab. He was swerving within his lane and at times crossing over the lane divider. He was not speeding, but was obviously cracked-out on something. I slowed down to 55 mph because I knew very soon he would hit someone. And I didn't want to be nearby. Approximately three minutes passed, and traffic came to a brake-screeching halt. After crawling in traffic for half a mile, I drove past the burnt-orange Saab. The driver was just exiting his vehicle. He was fine, but the front end of his car was *totaled*. He hit a full size truck that received significant damage to the rear quarter panel. Goodness... Don't smoke crack and drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home