Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dreams, resolution and Dehtwah

I don't remember too much from my dream last night, expect that I was running barefoot up San Francisco streets. I slept better last night, but my body still tells me that it's 3:30 a.m. PT when I wake up at 6:30 a.m. in New York.

Today, I will not drink coffee. This decision has nothing to do with recent findings that indicate coffee may increase the risk of a heart attack. I merely want to revert to drinking six to eight cups of green tea each day.

Speaking of coffee and heart attacks, you wonder if Starbucks and other coffee vendors will print a warning label on their coffee-based products. See the
surgeon general's report (pdf file) on reducing tobacco use. Perhaps for coffee we'll see, "WARNING: Drinking coffee may stain teeth, contribute to bad breath, possibly dehydrate you and turn your pee yellow among other things." Or perhaps, "WARNING: Coffee is not a safe alternative for bottled water."

Coffee ($3.75 a cup), cigarettes ($4.75 a pack), what's the difference when you're paying for health aches? Who cares, vices are damn fun! Inject meth while at work to kick up the interesting-factor... Be a career home wrecker... It's all good in the hood.

Speaking of the hood, I told Chip I will travel to Detroit at the end of the month. (For a couple of my colleagues, that's Detroit pronounced "Dehtwah" a la "Tarjet," not TARget.)

Chip is from Indiana, and currently lives in Chicago. Although it would be great for Chip to visit while I'm representing 415/408 in the 313, he politely declined. "[my name], I love you, but I don't love you that much to go to Detroit. You need to make sure you don't look like you have anything. If you do not get mugged by the time you return to San Francisco, you'll thank me. It's filthy! It makes Oakland look like Bel Air. It is the f'ing hood. Remember that commercial when a man disguises his car to look like an old beat up Chevy Chevelle or something, but actually it's a Hyundai underneath? That's Detroit! It's the armpit of the midwest. Actually, it's the worst of the armpits of the midwest."

"But I'm going to a professional conference," I said.
Chip: "Your colleagues should do the same - dress as if you do not have anything. If they've been, then they already know."
me: "I've watched
8 Mile."
Chip: "Exactly. Detroit's city motto should be pimps up, hoes down!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home