Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Catching up

I didn’t want to let too much time pass without posting.

Friday, March 10
I drove from the mothership to west midtown Manhattan, encountering pockets of traffic along the way. In the end, it took 2.5 hours from point A to point B, and this is the commute “against traffic.” As I crawled at 10-15 MPH, I looked at traffic heading east bound, and shuddered. I do not know how people do this commute.

Once I entered the city at the Queens-Midtown Bridge, another 30 minutes past just to get to the Hertz located on 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues. ThumbSucker met me there as the hotel is located only a few blocks around the corner. After ridding the car, we walk back to the hotel, dropped off our luggage, and headed out for dinner. We passed a restaurant called Osteria del Circo. It was cheesy, but we were starved. The food wasn’t bad, but definitely overpriced, and the wine was barely drinkable. “You know the wine is bad if I can’t even finish the bottle,” said ThumbSucker.

After dinner, we took the subway to Greenwich Village, to see where Stonewall took place. To be honest, it was anti-climatic, and both ThumbSucker and I felt bad for thinking the same thing. “OK, this is it?” We walked around, before stopping at the local Starbucks for a pick-me-up latte. After walking around for a few more minutes, we decided to call it a night. We both were beat.

On the subway ride to the hotel, I wanted to walk around Columbus Circle even if it the area was closed for the night at 11:00 p.m. ThumbSucker - cranky and all, didn’t want to. His argument is that we should go during the day when the shops are open so there is more to see. I didn’t care to go to the shops. I just wanted to walk around the circle. The visit would add no more than 15 minutes to the evening. His childhood tendencies kicked-in, and I was not having it. “Hey, while I was in the office this week, you were sight-seeing. You went to museums, shops and tourist areas. Tonight, I drove nearly three hours in traffic, and all I want to do is walk around the friggin’ circle.” The remainder of the night was not pretty. *sigh* I was not going to give up this one. But after one hour, I said screw it. I wanted to go to sleep, and to be left alone.

Actually, I wanted to go for a drive, by myself, with the windows rolled down, the heater cranked up, and the 15 tracks of Journey’s Greatest Hits cranked up as well. I wanted to be in the LC – quiet, warm, comfortable.

Saturday, March 11
We woke up, had breakfast in the room then headed out to the Bronx! That’s right, the Bronx. We took the number 2 subway to the Bronx, and walked to the Bronx Zoo. “Tigers, monkeys and mice… How nice.” We also saw leopards, red-tailed pandas and other rodents. Two hours later, our feet were blistered.

We took the number 2 subway back to Central Park, and walked the entire length of park on the east side. Once back at the hotel, we showered, and then headed out for dinner. We headed to Gramercy Park – which seems like a neighborhood on the up and up – to dine at Kitchen 22. I am becoming a fan of the pre fixe dinner. For $25 each, we had the Italian Wedding soup, the pork chops (ThumbSucker) and the chicken wrapped in procicuto (me), as well as the chocolate mousse. The wine was pretty tasty too. Hands down, this was our best dining experience on this trip.

Sunday, March 12
We woke up, got ready, packed, checked-out of the room, and checked-in our luggage with the bell guy.

So ThumbSucker’s has a friend who I will call 2Pay (a lá 2Pac as in Tupac Shakur) because he wears a toupee. 2Pay told ThumbSucker about a store called Century 21. “It’s like a Marshalls, but they sell Prada, Versace, D&G and other designers. We don’t have anything like it in California.” Even though I’m not of the Prada-wearing variety, I was intrigued. We had to check it out.

I saw mayhem when we entered. It looked like Christmas at a department store for goodness sake. ThumbSucker went to town, collecting two baskets of clothes to try on. I found one shirt and a few packs of socks. In the end, ThumbSucker got socks and a shirt for 2-Pay since he cat-sat Fionnbharr.

I purchased a shirt (which I later learned from Mcgoo that he has the same exact one) and a pair of gray and orange Playboy logo socks – happy socks, they are called. MarcusD introduced me to the concept of happy socks – wearing fun and funky looking socks for during the day if you’re feeling sad or down, you look at them and can’t help but to be happy. It’s one way to help take away any seriousness, especially at work. Happy socks… Try them out for yourself. I remember a friend many years ago wore black socks with green frogs on them, and she was always happy.

After Century 21, we went back to Lombardi’s in SOHO for some of that damn tasty pizza. This was like our “last supper” before we head back to San Francisco. Mmm. New York-style pizza… I will dream of it. After the late lunch, we high-tailed it to the hotel, collected our luggage, and took a car to JFK.

See my recent SMS messages for what happen once we boarded the plane. Goodness that was a nightmare. I, along with a few others around me, thought we’d die because of the idiot American Airlines’ “customer representative.” Essentially, our plane had maintenance and mechanical issues. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home